In 1802, the property came into the Emig family when it was purchased as a farm by Valentine Emig. The farm then passed to John Emig Jr., Valentines grandson. In 1850, John Jr. built The Emig Mansion. He was hard working man; a farmer, an entrepreneur, and an honest and fair Christian.
For the times, York County and the Lancaster Valley was the bread basket of a growing industrial center in the Northern United States. The area was blessed with some of the country's most fertile soil, its greatest asset, perfect for a hard working Palatine immigrant family. This combination provided opportunity for many areas of growth and John Emig Jr. seized his opportunity to grow along with it.